Affordable Community Energy, Inc.
Affordable Community Energy, Inc. (ACE) provides comprehensive energy efficiency, water conservation and on-site electricity production (renewables and cogeneration) retrofits to multi-family affordable housing owners.
ACE was established in 2012 as a vehicle to enhance the energy sustainability of affordable housing, using Hispanic Housing's residential portfolio as a test case, to keep affordable housing affordable by reducing utility costs, affects of climate change, and our customers’ environmental footprint.
ACE has designed its services to overcome the usual barriers that prevent affordable housing owners from implementing valuable energy improvements. ACE provides the resources and expertise to determine what improvements should be made, and provides 100% of the costs to minimize the financial burden to the property owner.
- Retrofitted approximately 2,000 units at a cost of nearly $10 million
- Achieved electricity savings on average of 37%, natural gas savings of 21% and water savings of 34%
- Partnered with our sister company, Tropic Construction to install 2,350 photovoltaic panels
- Under the auspices of Hispanic Housing Development Corporation, ACE and its partners were awarded a HUD Energy Innovation Grant.
ACE has tested its processes and confirmed the levels of savings and production that its menu of improvements can produce, primarily at Hispanic Housing properties. ACE has now begun to offer its services to third-party customers nationally, based on the following principles:
- ACE, where possible, is committed to harvesting the “whole tree” of green improvements, not just the “low hanging fruit.” In this way, ACE can use the faster paybacks of lighting, water and system controls to subsidize the slower paybacks of renewable energy, co-generation and more expensive energy efficiency measures.
- ACE’s model is to assemble portfolios of properties, so that it will accept buildings of almost any size provided they could be combined with other properties to achieve a critical mass.
- Upon installation ACE immediately shares energy savings with its customers. When the Power Purchase Agreement terminates, all equipment and savings accrue to the property owner.
Visit ACE's Website
opens in new window